Tuesday 20 September 2011

Montecristo No.5


I was initially banking on the MonteC No. 5 coming out tops on my review of short cigars - of course bringing the factor of price into the equation and not just all round quality. But unfortunately it was beat...Yes, by the Cohiba Siglo I. But the exercise wasn't a complete wash out as I've discovered that it's not a case of having a regular smoke available in your humidor because moods and requirements change depending on the situation, in fact maybe it's about having a variety available in your humidor to fulfill your cigar craving needs when they arise. So, below is the review of the MonteC No. 5:

Cigar summary

Origin: Cuba
Ring gauge: 40
Length: 4
Manufactured: Hand made
Maturity: 2 week
Construction: Excellent
Draw: Easy
Strength: Medium at first and developing to full
Flavour: Coffee with mild pepper and spice
Burn: Fair
Guy's rating (70-100): 89

General comments:

Once again the dry draw of this cigar was the best part with hints of a fresh fruity citrus.

Off the bat there was a mild spice and coffee but no sweetness or creaminess that I've come to associate with montec's. This flavour seemed to maintain through the smoke and although not a bad flavour just didn't develop any further - maybe this is what they aim to do with short sticks, I don't know? A real positive with this cigar is the smoke volume which is great and I really enjoy together with the fairly easy draw for such a small stick. I'll be getting some of these for the humidor at some point but will be buying some Siglo I's first.

Next review is the HDM Epicure 2 - moving on to the big boys:) Watch this space!


 

1 comment: