Monday 12 September 2011

Cohiba Siglo I


Wow, the big day arrived and I smoked my first Cohiba...rolling drums, in the form of the Cohiba Siglo I. Following on from my previous post, I'm trying different short cigars hoping to find one to add to my humidor as a regular smoke. I suppose the only down side to the Cohiba's are their price, for the price of a Siglo I you can get a MonteC No. 4 and an extra 1". Oh well, on to the review:

Cigar summary

Origin: Cuba
Ring gauge: 40
Length: 4
Manufactured: Hand made
Maturity: 1 week
Construction: Very good
Draw: Slightly firm
Strength: Medium at first and developing to full
Taste: Sweet and nutty developing into pepper and spice
Burn: Not the greatest but only needed two patch ups
Guy's rating (70-100): 91

General comments:
 
The dry draw on this is just brilliant, it has this sweetness that I just can't place. After toasting it off the bat you have sweet nut flavours, almost like a creamy peanut butter with hints of vanilla.
 
The first third developed richer woody earthiness that was exceptionally smooth and fresh. The sweet nuttiness remained but more as an undertone. In the second third a fresh grassyness started to come through with a raw nut flavour becoming more prominent. An oiliness also started to come through which you can feel on you lips, almost like a nut oil. In the last third the pepper and spice that I've come to know with Cuban cigars started to dominate, but not harsh.  It had an oily finish at this point which seemed to make the strong pepper and spice more palatable. Strangely I also seemed to be picking up a hint of berry in the finish and the aroma - weird as it may be!
 
Overall this smoke was great, the aroma is like no other, it's like a burnt fruity toffee - just brilliant. Although the Siglo I is slightly expensive for such a small cigar I will definately be keeping a couple of these in the humidor.
 
 
 


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment